These Greek Pita Sandwiches are the perfect lunchtime dish. Olives, cucumber, spinach, tomatoes, feta and a garlic and lemon vinaigrette make for a tangy and garlicky treat. You can try adding a dollop of hummus to elevate them to the next level!
These will take 30 minutes of prep time, serve 4 and there are 284 calories in each.
For the Dressing:
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice about 1 1/2 lemons
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic about 1 small clove
- 1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
- Pinch Fine Sea Salt
For the Pitas:
- 2, 7″ – 8″ Pitas cut in half
- 2 1/2 C (55g) Spinach packed then chopped into small ribbons.
- 3/4 C (115g) Cucumber sliced in 1/4″ rounds, then quartered, about 1/2 a medium cucumber
- 1/3 C (60g) Kalamata Olives pitted and quartered
- 1 Tbs Purple Onion chopped fine
- 1/2 pint (170g) Cherry Tomatoes quartered or 2 Roma tomatoes sliced thin and in half, add more to taste
- 1/3 C (50g) Feta leave off or sub dairy free if needed
- 4-6 Leaves of Fresh Basil torn into small pieces
- 5-6 Grinds of Black Pepper
- 3/4 C (375g) Prepared Hummus (optional)
For the Dressing:
In a small lidded mason jar, add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and salt. Shake until emulsified. Set aside.
For the Salad:
Into a large bowl, transfer the chopped spinach, cucumber, olives, onion, tomatoes, feta if using and basil. Add a few twists of black pepper, then pour the dressing over the salad, holding out just a bit – adding more to taste. Gently toss. Taste for seasoning adjustment and add more dressing and salt and pepper if desired.
To Assemble the Pitas:
- Open a pita half and schmear a generous portion of hummus (optional) on one side (the heavy side). Using tongs, gently stuff the pita with salad. Garnish with more basil if desired.
- Share right away or wrap snugly in parchment paper and hold in the fridge for just a few hours – any longer and they tend to get a little soggy.