Rise and shine to a healthy plate of ‘lighter’ pancakes made with Quark instead of high-fat buttermilk. Quark is available in most grocery stores and cuts the calories by half! For your pancake toppings: Squeeze with lemon and a drizzle of light maple syrup, and enjoy at their best… warm!
Quark is an ideal healthy alternative as it has 14g protein per 100g – that’s double the protein of Greek yogurt!
- ½ cup Quark
- 2 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup (185ml) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 cup (150g) whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ squeezed lemon
- Drizzle of light maple syrup to serve (optional)
- Place Quark, egg yolks (set aside the whites in a separate bowl) milk and vanilla into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Stir in flour and baking powder until just combined. Add a pinch of salt into the egg whites, and whisk until they’re foamy.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Put a large, heavy based non-stick pan on a medium heat.
- Ladle in heaped spoonfuls of batter into the pan (about ¼ cup) and cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake. Flip and cook until golden brown.
- Drizzle your pancakes with lemon juice and/or maple syrup
For times when you aren’t able to cook, why not try one of our nutritious meal replacement shakes. Each flavour is deliciously sweet and creamy, low in sugar, and uses natural flavourings.