Black beans and rice are one of the best sides and super versatile! With lime, garlic and spices, this is a tangy side dish to please everyone.
They take 5 minutes to prepare, 25 minutes to cook, and serve 8.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cup uncooked white rice, long grain or jasmine rice
- 4 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 2x 14 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 tablespoons lime juice, (adjust to your tastes)
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (or parsley), to garnish
Heat oil in a stockpot or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until onion is transparent. Add the garlic and sauté for a further minute. Add the cumin and rice, mix the flavours through and sauté for a further minute.
Pour in the broth and beans, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender (stirring half way through).
Remove from heat and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil (about 2 teaspoons), lime juice and cilantro. Taste test; season with a little salt and pepper, only if needed and as desired.
Nutritional Information, per serving: 216 calories, 40g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 4g fat, and 434mg sodium.
Recipe inspiration taken from Cafe Delites