Walking is an excellent form of exercise that can aid weight loss and provide many other health benefits. The number of calories you burn will depend on various things, especially your weight and walking speed. This table shows how many calories are burned in a one hour walk, according to your weight and walking speed:
|2.5 mph||3.0 mph||3.5 mph||4.0 mph|
For reference, 3mph is the average walking pace.
Walking can promote weight loss: in a study, women with obesity who walked 3 days per week for around 1 hour lost about 6 pounds over 12 weeks, compared with women who didn’t walk.
Combining with your diet
As we have seen above, walking itself can promote weight loss. However, it is much more effective when combined with a calorie-restricted diet
In a 12 week study, people with obesity restricted calories by 500-800 per day. One group walked 2 hours per week at 3.7 mph, while the other group didn’t walk. Both groups lost a significant amount of body weight, however those in the walking group lost about 4 pounds more, on average, than those who didn’t.
Other health benefits
- Improvement in cholesterol.
- Improved mood: A Stanford University study found that walking increased creative output by an average of 60%. The study stated; “walking opens up the free flow of ideas, and it is a simple and robust solution to the goals of increasing creativity and increasing physical activity.”
- Decreased blood pressure.
These benefits translate to a reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and overall mortality.
Keep it interesting
- Modify your route: Walk on bike trails, in a different neighborhood, or at your local mall.
- Change your walking times.
- Walk with a friend: This is a great way to catch up with a friend. Or maybe ask the new resident in your area if they’d like to go on a walk with you.
- Listen to an audiobook or podcast.
- Have a moment of pause and reflection. In today’s society it can feel like we are constantly swimming through a barrage of noise. This can make it hard to pause, reflect and think creatively. Allow your mind to explore new ideas and resolve those issues you have been sitting on for a while.
- Reward yourself: Maybe some new walking shoes or attire.
We hope you feel inspired to go on a walk! While you’re here, why not check out our range of low carb, low calorie meal replacement shakes. Our shakes have helped many people reach their goal weight due to their great formulation and powerful hunger-blocking ingredient, Slendesta.